by Encode club and zkSync
Privacy in Layer 2 and presentation by Josh Crites from Aztec!
It is important to differentiate the terms of Privacy, Confidentiality, and Anonymity.
There are different approaches to privacy:
- Hardware assistance
- Fully Homomorphic Encryption
- Commitment schemes and nullifiers (like zCash and Tornado Cash)
Some of the projects that are developing private solutions in Web3:
Josh did the second part of the lesson.
Private execution on blockchains like Aztec, Aleo, Mina, and Miden:
- Simulate a transaction on localhost
- Create the ZKP proof of this transaction
- Send the proof and state difference to the network
- The Sequencer will check the proof and create a rollup proof
Aztec uses the UTXO model like Bitcoin because they say it is impossible to use the account model like Ethereum to create a private blockchain. Thus, they don't try to implement zkEVM but rather use their own VM.
Noir is a Rust-like language that's used to write programs on Aztec. Interestingly, it uses a language-wide trusted setup, so you don't have to run it on your own.
Keep an eye on the repo where I post these notes: